On 26 June 2015, the Supreme Court of the United States declared that states no longer have the right to uphold the definition of marriage between one man and one woman. Such a decision and action is contrary to the nature of our sexuality, our belief as Catholics, and the best interests in children to have a mother and a father who are in a loving, committed relationship whenever possible. The Virginia Catholic Conference and the Bishops of Virginia have indicated their disapproval at this incredible injustice against the intention and true meaning of marriage. Below are references available for Catholics as we seek to uphold what we know to be sacred and essential to the human family.
- Statement by the Bishops of Virginia in response to the Supreme Court attempting to redefine marriage: VA Bishops Statement on US Supreme Court Action Against Marriage.
- The National Organization for Marriage – resources for tracking and understanding the need to defend marriage in the United States.
- The Virginia Catholic Conference – the public policy arm of the Bishops of Richmond and Arlington.
- Marriage: Love and Life in the Divine Plan – the extensive working document of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops regarding the defense and dignity of marriage.
- What is Marriage by Ryan Anderson – a Youtube video of a speech by Ryan T. Anderson, a powerful advocate for the defense of marriage, and author of What is Marriage: Man and Woman, a Defense.